Academic Director – Cusco, Peru
Maximo Nivel is a leading language training center and we are very well known for our “English Program.” The English Program is clearly defined by our dedication to excellent teaching, professionalism in everything we do, and great client service. Maximo Nivel is a hard-working and professional group—and these are the kind of teachers we look for.
The Academic Director manages all daily operations of the Academic Office. The Academic Director is the lead manager for all teachers and all academic programs at Maximo Nivel. This includes the Native English Program, Spanish Immersion, TEFL Certification, Service Learning, Internships, and all other study abroad programs. The Academic Team provides support for all other areas of Maximo Nivel in terms of books, materials, exams, quizzes, photocopies, and rooms. The Director is responsible for a team of 6 to 7 [shared] staff members, 20 to 25 English teachers, and 5 to 10 Spanish teachers.
The Director is responsible for teacher recruiting, teacher management, curriculum management, support materials, and quiz and exam administration. The Academic Director also leads all new teacher orientation and onboarding of academic staff.
Teacher management includes coaching, scheduling, payroll, and time off, among other things. The Director is responsible for holding teacher meetings on the 15th and 30th of each month; and organizes 2 hours of in-service training for English and Spanish teachers every month.
The Academic Team manages client service with respect to exam re-takes, grade reports, certification requirements, and attendance records. The Academic Office has very close contact with learners, clients, and their families; the Academic Director must be excellent at dealing with the public!
The Academic Director is a member of the in-country Executive Team and works closely with the Country Manager, Director of International Programs, and the Director of National Programs.
Whereas the Academic Director does not carry his/her own schedule of classes, they are responsible for substituting and leading classes when regular staffing does not meet the needs of the institute. The Director must generate reports using Excel and Word including: Teacher Feedback Summary, Teacher sick days, Teacher payroll, and other ad-hoc reports as needed.
– Bachelor’s Degree required, Master’s Degree preferred
– TEFL, TESOL, or CELTA certification required (minimum 120 hours)
– At least 3 years professional experience, ideally as a Head of Operations, DoS, or Institute/Language School Director
– Fluent English; Advanced Spanish required
– Excellent computer skills including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.
– Excellent interpersonal skills; excellent writing skills; strong team skills and a “love” for team training
– Focused on results—learner success, learner satisfaction, and building an excellent teaching team. Be the owner of the Academic function!
– Adept at setting goals and managing competing priorities.
– Metric driven; able to understand, analyze, and present data to support institute decisions
The minimum position duration is 24 months— we are only interested in individuals who can commit for at least 2 years.