Since its foundation in 1956, Lacunza – International House continues to enjoy a considerable reputation in San Sebastian and the surrounding province of Gipuzkoa, Spain.
More than 50,000 residents (from 4 years old) have learned or improved their English and/or French on premises, in company or in their schools. It is a founder member of Eaquals and a Platinum Cambridge Exams Centre.
Lacunza invites applications for the post of Director of Education from July 2021 onwards.
This is an exciting opportunity for a language teaching professional with vision and ambition to lead education, including decisions, the teams involved and implementation, within a postpandemic Lacunza.
Reporting directly to the General Manager, whilst collaborating with other departments and/or enabling others, the Director of Education will have three main areas of responsibility:
1. Innovation, product development and curriculum design
- Review, plan and coordinate Lacunza’s Educational plan across all departments in accordance with both the company’s strategy and agreed annual plan.
- Periodically review course content, assessment, pacing and choice of materials for each of our courses. Keep abreast of new developments, materials and resources. Maintain regular contact with publishers and other educational collaborators.
- Take the lead in product design. This will involve considerable collaboration with all stakeholders; clients, teachers, Directors of Studies, marketing and other members of staff.
2. Staff support and Professional development
- Lead the teacher training department making sure that the annual professional development programme meets the needs of both the company and teachers.
- Review and develop the systems in place for lesson observation and feedback, and staff performance reviews. Ensure that conclusions from these are used to inform recruitment, timetabling and further training.
3. Quality Assurance
- Implement systems which foster a culture of quality; for example conduct internal audits, prepare for external inspections, maintain contact with our partners (IHWO, other IH Schools and Eaquals), review conclusions and take appropriate action.
- Promote Lacunza at relevant events. This may involve attending conferences and giving sessions, giving presentations to clients etc.
- Extensive English teaching experience (including Young Learners) plus the DELTA (or equivalent) and/or an MA in a relevant field. Experience in a managerial role.
- Minimum C2 level in English / B2 level in Spanish (knowledge of French, Basque and other languages to be considered a plus).
- Curiosity and initiative. An ability to analyse situations, design a plan of action with realistic outcomes and deliver these within established deadlines.
- Leadership skills, but also an ability to work as part of a team.
Applications should be made by 28 May 2021 and include an updated CV and statement of interest.